A few weeks ago, I made a new goal for myself to break 80 within the next 16 months. That means by the end of 2015 I need to improve all areas of my golf game and begin to consistently break 80 each time I go out. In my first post, I vowed to analyze each round of golf I play and start tracking what I do well and what I need to improve if I ever want to accomplish this goal.
As mentioned in another post, I played TPC San Antonio yesterday. Last weekend I played out at La Cantera Resort Course and this became my starting point in tracking my stats. At the Oaks Course yesterday at TPC, I struggled mightily again and ended up shooting worse than the 89 at La Cantera a week ago.
What Needs Improving
- Although I hit it much better than last week at La Cantera, I still need to straighten out my driver. I had a total of two lost balls which resulted in a penalty, both bad hooks to the left. At TPC San Antonio, you just cannot do that. I know my bad miss is to the left with the driver and I have to learn to control that somehow. Stokes Lost: 2
- Unlike last time out when I only had one three-putt, this time I had four three-putts. The greens were rolling smoothly out there but I just could not get the speed down. I hit some really good putts and did sink a couple 3-4 footers to save bogeys or this could have been a lot worse. Once again, I have to work on my putting terribly. Strokes Lost: 4
- Big numbers. I have to limit my big numbers. Yesterday I had one huge blow-up hole in which I took an 8 on a par-4. That is four over par on one hole, which normally derails my entire round and I never recover. I count a big number as anything over a double bogey, so an 8 on one hole is ridiculous. I would like to see no more than one double bogey per round. Strokes Lost: 2
- Just like last week, my chipping failed me yesterday. I also combine my bunker shots within this category and think of it as more of an all-around short game. Yesterday I lost two shots when I couldn’t get out of a bunker along with four other horrible chips from around the greens, with one being skulled over the green and off into the water resulting in a penalty. Stokes Lost: 6
What I Did Well
- I tried to slow down and take nice and smooth driver swings. I hit the driver much better compared to last week. While I did lose two shots to lost balls, I did hit nine other fairways. I felt good with my improvements in the driver.
- I am hitting my irons very crisply. So crisp I misjudged the distances on a couple shots. I have to dial in my distances with these Ping i25’s which I feel I am starting to hit very solidly right now.
- Putting, Putting, Putting. I have to practice this and start making more putts and eliminate all three-putts.
- Chipping, Chipping, Chipping. I have to practice and start making better chips so I have tap-ins to save par and bogeys.
Final Stats for The Day
# Putts: 40 (ouch)
Greens in Regulation: 2/18 or 11%
Fairways Hit: 9/14 or 64%
By my count, I could have saved at least 14 strokes yesterday. Will I always save them all? Of course not. But if I could have saved half of those, I would have shot 87, much closer to my goal of breaking 80.
Is there something you are working on? Let us know below or hit us up on Twitter @Front9Back9.