The first day of competition is in the books at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship, and Tiger Woods choked it away on the 19th hole by hitting it in the brush, while Thomas Bjorn put it in the middle of the fairway. It’s hard to play from the desert behind cactus and thorn bushes even when you are Tiger Woods. I guess he now has more time to “figure things out” for the rest of the week. He wasn’t too happy after the round expressed his displeasure on air to Roger Maltbie, saying he’s “Pissed.”
A couple other quick notes after the first day in Arizona:
- Ian Poulter was reportedly pissed he got the early tee time, so he went out and lost and won’t have to worry about playing early anymore this week. Unless it’s in Orlando at his home course…
- J.B. Holmes made the most of his late minute entry by beating Camilio Villegas 4 & 2 and advancing to the next round. Villegas made the final four last year and will have plenty of time to workout the rest of the week.
- Rickie Fowler and Phil Mickelson both won their matches to set up a second round matchup. The two became good friends playing together in the Ryder Cup and lets see if the young buck or old buck will teach each other something..
- Martin Kaymer whooped up on K. Noh 7 & 6. Can Kaymer move up to #1 with a win this week? We shall see.
- Anthony Kim must have stayed out all night last night because he got beaten down by Nick Watney. In the post match interview, Watney said Kim was sick. I wonder if it was an illness or hungover?
- Buried deep at the bottom of my post is my winning pick Dustin Johnson losing to Mark Wilson on the 19th hole. I will add this to my losing golf picks record.
Back to Tiger Woods. He was pretty pissed in his post match interview with Roger Maltbie. He told Roger he didn’t know when he would be playing next. I can’t wait to catch his press conference later to see if he continues to stay “pissed.” Tiger admitted he can’t chip, putt or hit a fairway when it counts, which is correct. At least he can admit it. Thomas Bjorn said in his post match interview “Tiger is not playing his absolute best.”
I’m sure Tiger Woods will take the remainder of the week and head back to Orlando and get some more “reps.” He sure needs them. He should also add more tournaments, so he can pick up a win somewhere. It’s bound to happen soon right?